The Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize (2021) -- Extension of Deadline
Writers Project of Ghana announces an extension of the submissions deadline for the 2021 Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize, an annual award for Oral History narrated by a woman over the age of 65 years.
The Abena Korantemaa Oral History Prize was established in honour of Abena Korantemaa by her family, and is sponsored by MAKEDA PR.
The prize is set up to encourage younger Ghanaians to document history and contribute to its preservation. The prize also seeks to encourage the production of creative non-fiction from Ghana.
To enter the competition, you should make a voice recording of a piece of oral history told by a woman over the age of 65 (not yourself), and send it to Writers Project of Ghana. The recording should be oral history between 20 and 30 minutes long. You can make the recording using a voice recorder, a mobile phone, a computer, or other recording device. There are no limitations to the content of the submissions, but there will be a preference for stories about the community and country. Personal stories connected to historical or significant events in history are also encouraged.
In case you are making the submission using WhatsApp, you may record the narration in short pieces of about 5 minutes each and send them to the WhatsApp number below.
The deadline for the submissions is now extended to Friday 24th September, 2021. The prizes will be awarded during Pa Gya! A Literary Festival in Accra in October. The first prize is GHC 2,500.
- The narrator must be a Ghanaian resident in Ghana. Proof will be required by means of identification issued by authority (example, passport, national ID card, etc).
- The oral history narrator must be a woman at least 65 years old.
- To enter the competition, send us a 20- to 30-minute recording of an oral history narration.
- The storyteller or narrator should be the woman who must be over 65 years old (and must not be you).
- Recording may be done using a voice recorder, a mobile phone, a computer, or other recording device.
- The story may be in English or a Ghanaian language.
- Make sure that the recording is clear and audible.
- Send the recording (audio file) to the Writers Project of Ghana WhatsApp number 0267668890, or via email to email@example.com
- Only one submission per person is allowed.
Please answer the following and add to your submission:
- Contact address (could be e-mail or other)
- Telephone number
- Name of the Narrator
- Age of Narrator
- What is the language of the story/narration?
- What is the story/narration about?
- Why do you think people should hear this story?